Did you catch our latest episode of Girlboss Radio with celebrity colorist, Redken creative consultant and owner of Méche Tracey Cunningham? She’s the jam, no? For the Girlboss faithful, we asked Tracey for some extra insight on how to bust into the industry and stand out from the crowd. Check this advice, straight from the color queen’s mouth:
- Don’t mistake someone asking you to work for meanness. When you get a job at a salon that you really want to work at, do not quit because you think your boss is being mean to you! Because you’re just being a millennial (haha). Work does not equal “mean”!
- Swallow your pride. When I was an assistant, I swallowed my pride so many times, and I’m happy I did, because I wouldn’t be where I am now.
- Put in the work on social media. That’s the new interview. When you are doing models, be sure to post and post well. Not pictures of you drinking! Maybe have a personal account and a business account.
- Study up. Seek out as much education as you can. Do as many models as you can, because the only way to learn is by making mistakes. It’s the best way to learn; you only get better.
- Don’t do it alone. You can’t. So make sure that you make friends at your salon. It’s good to be a team.
- If you don’t have a cat, get a cat. Or a chihuahua.